Hudson Elementary School accommodates approximately 240 students in grades kindergarten through fourth grade. At Hudson Elementary, we believe in creating an effective learning environment that results in success for all students. To facilitate this core purpose, the staff believes in differentiating instruction so that all of our students are getting the level of instruction that they are ready for.
We have two main academic emphases at Hudson Elementary School. The first emphasis is literacy. Literacy includes the areas of reading and language arts. Our literacy instruction uses a balanced approach where students receive specific instruction in vocabulary, comprehension, independent reading and writing. The second academic emphasis that we have is math. Our math instruction is centered on the areas of number relationships, computation, geometry, measurement, statistics and data analysis and algebra.
Schedule – Our school day officially begins at 8:10 a.m. Students in grade K-2 have a morning recess. This recess is 15 minutes in length. Lunch is served to the elementary students between 10:50 and 11:55. Around this time period, K-4 students get a 20 minute noon recess. Then during the afternoon, K-4 students also get a 15 minute recess. Dismissal time for our elementary students is 3:05 p.m.
Y-Kids Program – A before and after school program is offered in the Hudson Elementary School. For further information, you can contact the YWCA of Black Hawk County at 319-234-7589 or www.ywcabhc.org.
Attendance – Good attendance is a must! Please consult the student handbook for complete attendance guidelines.
Volunteers – The Hudson Elementary staff loves to have volunteers assist them. Call today to see what volunteer opportunities are available
- Hudson Middle School spans 5th through 8th grade. Our current enrollment hovers around 210 students, with class sizes averaging between 40-60 students. There are currently two sections of 5th grade and 6th grade and three sections of 7th -8th grade, which makes for accommodating class sizes.
- The 5th and 6th grade is located in the west end of our building, while the 7th and 8th is located in the north wing of the building. The two teams each have a different cadre of core subject teachers.
- Our school day is 8:05-3:05.
- One time a month, we have 12:30 dismissal so teachers can engage in professional development. Refer to the district calendar to find more information on early dismissals.
- Hudson’s mascot is the MIGHTY PIRATE!
- Student-led conferences are common place at the Middle School, in which students prepare and present their conferences to parents. Conferences are typically held twice a year- once in the fall and the other in the spring. Most recently, 97% of families attended their students’ conferences!
For more information about Hudson Elementary School, please contact:
Mark Schlatter, K-6 Principal
136 S. Washington
Hudson, IA 50643